Friday, April 1, 2011

The Soros and the Pity (III)

A final note on a topic that I know is too eclectic, as Johnny Carson would say,* for the more cosmopolitan readers of this site, many of whom are on their way to Barney's to pick up some aggravation fantastic bargains.

Playing the sympathy card, Little Miss Attila accuses me of being callously gleeful over the personal and economic plight of blegging bloggers. Given that Ebenezer Scrooge is considered an unfairly maligned and distorted capitalist figure to many rightbloggers, a caricature-victim of that bleeding-heart Dickens, this is a bit much.

However.

I may indeed be an inhuman monster, the toxicology tests are so far inconclusive, but I have privately donated to a number of bloggers in dire straits and those doing quarterly fundraisers to keep their sites going, and have publicly urged donations to bloggers and outposts such as Antiwar, Mondoweiss, and Al Giordano's School for Authentic Journalism (via The Field) to which I'm sympatico. I'm not expecting or asking for plaudits, I'm happy to assist buddies in time of need or refueling, even those I've never met, and hardly begrudge conservative bloggers likewise rallying to their comrades' distress calls. I don't want anyone's children to lack proper dental care, which is why socialized medicine is OK by me, as opposed to the Ayn Rand utopia that so many rightbloggers find romantically alluring.

So keep waving your hands in the air in the hope of getting Glenn Reynolds' attention and receiving a dream-come-true "Instalanche," go ahead, knock yourselves silly. Ride to each others' rescues, lower the lifeboats, no one's hindering you.

You hit your tip jars and I'll hit mine.

*Until Tony Randall corrected Johnny (such audacity), telling him the the word he wanted was "esoteric."

Source: http://www.vanityfair.com/online/wolcott/2011/03/the-soros-and-the-pity-iii.html

Saddam Hussein Hu Jintao Kim Jong Il Islam Karimov Ted Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment