Thursday, December 30, 2010

Embarrassing Moments from Everyday Life (II)

So last night we're seated on the aisle, having made the arduous journey on the Number 2 train to BAM, and I see a familiar prominent head a few rows up. Just as a joke to amuse myself (that's what it's come to), I say, not too loudly:

"Hey, Mark Morris--this Bud's for you!"

"That's not Mark Morris," Laura says. "That's Isaac Mizrahi."

Well, then I'm really glad he didn't hear me, because that would have been most embarrassing, especially with Chelsea Clinton seated a few rows between us. I wouldn't want to make a bad impression on her, even though we've never met and I doubt she's read any of my poetry.

I must have been under mental fatigue because not only did I mix up Mark Morris and Isaac Mizrahi but I spotted a familiar face in the subway of someone also on her way to the theater and couldn't think of her name. It was only later, as we were seated, that Laura reminded me it was Allegra Kent.

Now when I don't have Allegra Kent's name on the tip of my tongue, well, that just ain't like me.

Do you have similar amusing stories?

Write them up and sent them to The New Yorker, which is always looking for "material."

Source: http://www.vanityfair.com/online/wolcott/2010/12/embarrassing-moments-from-everyday-life-ii.html

Hu Jintao Kim Jong Il Islam Karimov Ted Kennedy John Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment